The week-long celebration of Dr. Pio Valenzuela’s 147th birth anniversary, dubbed as “Tuloy-tuloy ang Asenso,” formally kicked off on July 11 through a symbolic wreath laying ceremony that was underscored by Mayor REX Gatchalian’s promise to keep the city progressive in the next three years of his second term.
Mayor REX encouraged his fellow public servants in the local government to remain true to Dr. Pio Valenzuela’s inspiration of helping the underprivileged uplift their lives. He challenged the city government employees to sustain the excellent public service that is expected of them. Mayor REX pointed out, “Pag sinabing Valenzuela, napakataas ng antas ng serbisyo publiko ang inaasahan sa ating lahat.”
The wreath laying ceremony was led by Mayor REX, together with the city elected officials; Ms. Marciana Valenzuela-Abary, Dr. Pio Valenzuela’s granddaughter; and Guest of Honor Corazon Alma de Leon, DSWD Secretary and former CSC Chairperson. They laid the wreath at the foot of the Triumvirate monument in the city hall.
The celebration was well attended by some members of the Valenzuela family, the business sector, the religious groups, the academe and other socio-civic organizations.
In this year’s commemoration of the local hero’s birthday, the city government also recognized the individuals and organizations which gave monetary pledges for the Pio Valenzuela Scholarship Program.
In lieu of sending wreaths that usually cost Php5,000, the organizations opted to utilize their funds as donation to the scholarship program. This timely and more practical initiative started during Valenzuela’s 146th birth anniversary. Last year, the same activity generated a total amount of PHP 180, 360.00 that was added to the trust fund of the scholarship program. It benefited 763 college scholars.
The following are the 2015 donors for the Pio Valenzuela Scholarship Program that were recognized during the event:
String of events and inaugurations lined-up for the week-long celebration of the local hero’s birth anniversary consist of the following:
- July 12 (Tuesday) – Inauguration of Lingunan National High School
- July 13 (Wednesday) – Unveiling of Constantino Park in Valenzuela SPED Center; The Life and Works of Dr. Pio Valenzuela Quiz Bee at Museo Valenzuela
- July 14 (Thursday) – Inauguration of Marulas 3S Center
- July 15 (Friday) – Inauguration of Gen. T. de Leon 3S Center
- July 17 (Sunday) – Yapak Ni Pio: Photowalk on Valenzuela City Landmarks; Walk for your Rights: a PWD Fun Walk 2016, starting from Puregold Dalandanan to Valenzuela City Astrodome.
- July 23-30 (Saturday – Saturday) – Yapak Ni Pio Exhibit at Museo Valenzuela