(SECOND UPDATE: May 15, 2015, 1: 20 p.m. )
- At 5:00 a.m., the police and Scene of the Crime Operatives (SOCO) resumed the retrieval of bodies. By 1:00 p.m, they had pulled 69 bodies from under the rubble. Of this, 36 are female, 28 are male, while 5 are unidentified. Retrieval for the day ended at 2:05 p.m., including the first three collected on Wednesday, bodies retrieved number 72.
- At 11:00 a.m. today, May 14, the city government held a press conference at the Audio Visual Room, 3rd Floor of Legislative Building. Mayor REX Gatchalian, Vice Mayor Eric Martinez, Councilor Lorie Natividad Borja, City Police Chief Rhoderick Armamento, City Fire Marshal Mel Jose Lagan, PNP Chief Leonardo Espina, National Capital Region Police Office Regional Director Carmelo Valrmoria, PNP Crime Laboratory Deputy Director for Operations Emmanuel Arenas, and Ugong Barangay Captain Eduardo Nazar.
- Lagan said initial investigation showed that the two buildings that were burned down have sound fire exits and have no violation of the Fire Code. Whether the fire exits had been locked or not could not be confirmed yet as the door was already destroyed when the investigation began. He said investigators will look into the possibility that there were more number of people in the second floor of the assembly area building that day than the fire exits could accommodate.
- Three buildings are inside the Kentex Manufacturing Corporation compound, two of which were the ones burned down, Lagan said. One building housed machines while the other, which has two floors, was the area where workers assemble parts into whole slippers. On Wednesday, three bodies were found on the machines building. Many of the bodies would be found on the second floor of the assembly area building. The warehouse is the only unscathed building.
- Mayor REX said that one of the burned-down buildings has been issued a building permit as far back as 1996. He said that whoever was the building official then was correct in his judgment on the building’s structural integrity, as shown by its four corner beams which remains erect even after the fire.
- Mayor REX said the since they started coming, victims’ families have been given pyscho-social counselling. He said the city government will cover the cost of the victims’ burial and provide families with food, money and medical care.
- At 1:00 p.m., Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Mar Roxas met with the victims’ families at Maysan Barangay Hall. Roxas heard their grievances and explained to them the process of DNA matching as a way of identifying the victims.
- At 3:45 p.m., a mass was held at the Maysan Barangay Hall, with local officials joining the families of the victims in prayers. The priest also blessed the remains of the victims.
- City Mayor Rex Gatchalian, through Vice Mayor Eric Martinez and the city council, declared a citywide State of Mourning at 4 p.m. This authorizes City Mayor Gatchalian to use public funds to provide for the welfare of the victims’ families. This also calls on all government offices in the city to fly the Philippine flag at half-mast tomorrow.
- At 4:40 p.m., the families were allowed to view the dead’s body bags at the ground floor of Maysan Barangay Hall.
- At 5:00 p.m., the families lined up for DNA testing at the barangay hall's library.
- At 10:00 p.m., the victims' caskets were transported by city government trucks to the public cemeteries in barangays Maysan and Arkong Bato for internment